Most of the bloggers out there have the sites which are powered by WordPress. The newbies install the wordpress script and start posting but miss a lot of modifications they can actually do to their blogs. These modifications can be done using plugins. These plugins either change or add new features to your WordPress blog. After working on different blogs (all powered by WordPress) , I am going to suggest some must have plugins for a better and faster blog.
- WP Super Cache: Most importance plugin for a faster blog. This plugin keeps cache of your pages so that server is not loaded again and again. Must for blogs with more than 100 visits a day.
- Robots Meta: If you are a regular blogger then you might be aware of Google Panda update which penalizes duplicate content. Well, WordPress has loads of duplicate content (each post has excrepts displayed on author page, category page, archives etc). This plugin makes those pages non-indexable and helps protech against duplicate content.
- HeadSpace2: Another plugin for SEO of your site. This allows you to have separate and custom title, meta tags, description etc for each of your post, category pages, and other pages.
- Google XML Sitemaps: As the name says this plugin generates XML sitemap for your blog. It automatically updates the sitemap when new posts are made.
- Maintenance Mode: Whenever you are making changes to your site or your blog needs to be down for maintenance you should activate this plugin. It gives visitors a maintenance page and admin can access the site fully.
There are more in my list but it depends on your usage if you need it or not. I use Custom Contact Forms, PHP Speedy WP (another plugin for faster blog), PS Auto Sitemap (sitemap, not XML).